ARNO Carbur2 Burnisher Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate it:

• Awesome - gotta get one now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great - on the list!

• Pretty good - I'd consider it

• I've seen better!

• Total voters

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
CARBUR2.gif

This is out and out the best burnishing tool I have ever used, within two minutes I can have a brand new scraper producing shavings (like big curly plane shavings - as opposed to 'well if you look at it really closely it's not technically dust' shavings).

The heads are angled correctly so that if you hold the handle at 90 degrees to the scraper it will produce the correct burr shape. There are two carbide heads, one rounded which is about twice as effective as a standard burnisher and one triangular with a tiny circumferance on the edge. Take it easy with the triangular one as it is possible to chop the whole burr off with if you are too heavy handed.

The casting is lightweight aluminium and it fits in a large letter jiffy bag so nice and cheap to post too. I'll pop a scraper in the bag with it so that people can try the ARNO scrapers too - we have been buying these for ages so if you already have WH scrapers they are one and the same thing.

As usual add your name to the list below and pop a PM to the person before you so that they know where to send it.

matthewwh":3a9tlhjo said:
The heads are angled correctly so that if you hold the handle at 90 degrees to the scraper it will produce the correct burr shape.

Hmm. I don't see how that can be universally true, since difference burrs are needed depending on the wood being worked, and the steel of the scraper.

If you add scraper planes to the mix, it becomes clearly untrue.

Carbide's a good idea though.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post ... 0alf#87519

BugBear

I already have one of these (Axminster sold them a few years ago) and can vouch that they will do what Matthew says. However, the one in Matthew's pic has a plain cylindrical carbide thingie whereas the one I have has grooved effect round it...so not a lot of use for use on a card scraper (it just seems to mangle the burr)
The triangular carbide side is wicked...you need to be very careful how it's used. It will actually take small curls of metal off an SS pocket knife blade
Edit - mine is the Carbcut, not the Carbur - Rob

Technically you're right BB, my point is that from a square edge you need to hold a normal burnisher at 10 or 15 degrees to the edge. In this case the head is angled so that you can hold the handle perpendicular to the scraper.

It's all a 'feel' thing rather than something requiring measurement, but it's much more natural to feel where 90 degrees is as opposed to 75 because we are surrounded by 90 degree angles all the time. Similarly if you want to go a little over or a little under it's easier to estimate this based on a right angle than it is to differentiate between say 70 and 80 degrees.

Likewise with scraper planes if you are feeling for a 45 it's more natural than trying to estimate 55 or 60.

I hope that makes sense.

matthewwh":d3lthzwz said:
It's all a 'feel' thing rather than something requiring measurement, but it's much more natural to feel where 90 degrees is as opposed to 75 because we are surrounded by 90 degree angles all the time. Similarly if you want to go a little over or a little under it's easier to estimate this based on a right angle than it is to differentiate between say 70 and 80 degrees.

Heh. You just described the modus operandi of my (ok Robert Wearing's) saw sharpening "rake control" gadget ;-)

I think the Arno is a little pricey for a small bit of carbide in a holder.

BugBear

bugbear":1dcb3au3 said:

BugBear

In view of the way it works, it's probably not...that's only my opinion though - Rob

Paul Chapman":3bg1euj8 said:
bugbear":3bg1euj8 said:

It's less expensive than several burnishers that are commercially available.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

In the light of the design Alf showed, I probably (therefore) think many commercial burnishers are a little pricey.

BugBear (channeling his inner grimsdale)

bugbear":1scyf7zx said:
(channeling his inner grimsdale)

I can picture you sitting cross legged in front of a sash window with a rounded bevel chisel in one hand and thin plane iron in the other chanting 'owd' very slowly.

matthewwh":2g12qxd1 said:
bugbear":2g12qxd1 said:
(channeling his inner grimsdale)

I can picture you sitting cross legged in front of a sash window with a rounded bevel chisel in one hand and thin plane iron in the other chanting 'owd' very slowly.
Wicked :wink: ...but I like it :lol: :lol: - Rob

Back