Are flagpoles ok or am i being prickly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPinonit

Established Member
Reaction score
My neighbour opposite has installed a rather tall flagpole in his front garden. The garden is tiny, so the flagpole sits adjacent to the footpath behind a small hedge. The pole is at least street light height and is quite a large diameter so it's not discreet. A cross of St George is flown from it - raised and lowered each day. It is a large flag and flaps around noisily.

I'm not very comfortable with the flagpole being installed there, but I cannot decide whether I'm being over-sensitive or does anyone else think flagpoles are a bit of an eyesore and does not really fit in an ordinary residential street?

I am very patriotic and we had loads of England flags all over the house during the world cup,but this thing has appeared since then and looks to be a permanent fixture (I could be mistaken). I'm also aware that flagpoles [over a certain height] require planning permission, but I've not been consulted or given a chance to comment and the council website shows no application or permission granted for it.

I keep wondering "what next" if I don't speak to them or the council soon. I also think it could put off potential buyers - not that I'm looking to sell (although I might be after the government's spending review in October!).

They are a bit of an odd couple, but they are very nice people and I don't want to cause upset or rifts, so any idea about the best way to handle it (if I'm not alone in my views)? I'm happy to go talk to them, but I sometimes struggle to say things the right way and I could get it disastrously wrong.

Steve

Alan Jones":2cendubp said:
If the sight of your nations flag upsets you, then youve got bigger problems than your neighbours flagpole :(

The guy is looking for help. The main issue is the flagpole and the noise from the flag not, as you put it, "his nation's flag" maybe read his post again or go and make use of a well known 2 for 1 offer in your local high street?

Steve, maybe best to find out exactly what the planning position is before doing anything. Could also be worth speaking to other neighbours to try and gauge their feeling on the matter first before you approach the couple concerned.
Also it shouldn't be hard to work out a rough idea of the height of the pole using a known figure (such as the height of a person or if there is a wall or hedge in front of the house).

There is obviously a different ethos in different countries about flying your national flag. If you look at the USA it is quite clearly different and individuals flying the 'Stars and Stripes' is normal and almost expected - here it is the exception. One of Norm's projects was to make a flagpole and the end of the program showed it being erected and a flag proudly flying.

Apparently here there are 'strict rules' about flags/flagpoles

The first and most important thing to remember is that you have the legal right to fly your national flag. The Cross of St George is England's national flag and you can fly it within the regulations if it is not defaced in any way.

A St George's Cross with the word "England" written on it is not Eng­land's national flag, and such flags fall under the Town and Country Planning Regulations (control of advertise­ments). Quite rightly, Government officials can ask for them to be taken down at any time. The problem is that some, but not all, councils and their officials allow these flags to be flown for short periods during special occasions, such as the World Cup or on St George's Day.

Flags must always be flown at full mast but you should note that the erec­tion of flag poles is sometimes subject to local planning requirements, which can vary from place to place. It is advisable to contact the local planning authority for further guidance.

There are no regulations to say that national flags cannot be flown from an angled flagpole, but, as with most things today, the flying of flags in any shape or form falls under the British health and safety regulations.

Also

Yes, you need planning permission, from your local council, to erect a flagpole. Flag poles at private residences are classified as "miscellaneous structures" and subject to planning regulations. Generally, a local council will have a local planning order for flagpoles which would require planning permission for a single pole in front of a house that fronts onto a highway or public (but it would probably be granted as long as it was not too high, and no one objected). Whereas a single pole that was behind the house would not require permission providing that it was not too high. More than one pole would probably be considered excessive for any domestic property.

An example would be:

"A local planning order allows that you may, without planning permission, erect a flagpole within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided that the house is neither a registered building or within a Conservation Area, where on completion of the operations there would be no more than one flagpole within the curtilage and the height of the flagpole would not exceed 5m above ground level"

My experience of being near flags flown from flagpoles is that they do make some noise when flags are flown from the flag itself and also from the rope the flag is lowered and raised on at all times in the wind. However this type of sound is normal/usual at the coast where sailing boats are anchored - if I walk down into Bosham I expect and quite enjoy the sound. Also, years ago we lived in mid Wales and to get any TV signal needed a large aerial on a tall pole with guy ropes - we used to get noise from this (very windy and wet up in the mountains) but soon got used to it.

It doesn't help that the BNP have effectively adopted the Union Flag as their logo, but I believe flying the England flag with pride is OK in the right place.

The OP needs to decide if the flagpole is annoying enough to make a fuss. As they are 'nice' people that you obviously speak to why not just ask about the flagpole when you 'just happen to meet them'. You could then ask if they needed planning permission almost as an afterthought.

Misterfish

As has been previously said contact your local planning department.
Where I live the developers erect flagpoles for advertising and they can be noisy which annoys some people. They also get planning permission for them.

The OP has already said that the flag is quite correctly lowered at night ,so there cant be any noise then. Is he seriously suggesting that the noise from the the flag is louder than most of us regulary make with woodworking activitiies or would he also complain about that or more importantly would he expect his neighbour to complain about noise produced by his woodworking activities ?

Can't say the noise would bother me, just the faintly ridiculous sight of a flag pole etc. It would also make me wonder about the resident and "what next"...

I'm the same with car covers, security cameras, and similar...

Perhaps the pole with pale in to insignificance when he adds stone cladding to his house, and/or mock tudor beams :D

The halyards will still make a noise which can be enervating especially during the night when it is windy.

The mention of them frapping against the mast on boats is correct but,although it may be pleasant when passing by, they can be a b****y nuisance when sleeping aboard.

If they aren't tied back it usually leads to a disturbed night's sleep.

Alan Jones":7dxxvf79 said:
The OP has already said that the flag is quite correctly lowered at night ,so there cant be any noise then. Is he seriously suggesting that the noise from the the flag is louder than most of us regulary make with woodworking activitiies or would he also complain about that or more importantly would he expect his neighbour to complain about noise produced by his woodworking activities ?

What flag do the trolls fly?

Mike

The OP was canvassing opinion. Im sure he never expected everyone to blindly agree with him. So if having a different perspective makes you a troll does the opposite make you a sheep :?

Mike.C":f0694byx said:
Alan Jones":f0694byx said:

Mike

Where's the troll??? :-s

(Is this a comment steeped in history - they always throw me in threads)

As a hobbyist and DIY'er I tend not to kick up any fuss about what the neighbours do, so long as it's within reason; else they might, rightly, feel entitled to complain about what I do in my Gridge/House/Garden.
That said then, providing the gripe is with an unsightly/noisy/large erection (insert ooh er missus) and not with the flying of the Flag itself, a quick (possibly anonymous) call to the local planning dept might ascertain if permission is/was required/acquired.

matt":32z83fb8 said:
Mike.C":32z83fb8 said:
Alan Jones":32z83fb8 said:

Mike

Where's the troll??? :-s

(Is this a comment steeped in history - they always throw me in threads)

History

Cheers

Mike

Personally, I'd prefer to see a small pole erected on the top of a house rather than a big 5m pole in the front garden.
Whether it would bother me would I suppose depend on the style of house - some can carry off having a flag pole in the garden, but with others it certainly would look stupid.
The noise from the halyards shouldn't be too bad - it's across the street after all - but there could be some noise.
If it bothers you, I'd estimate the height and make a discrete call to the local planning office.

Personally I'd love a flag pole but a) it would look very stupid at my current house, and, b) swmbo wouldn't let me have one.

misterfish":2tilfx66 said:
Flags must always be flown at full mast

mrfish slightly confused about this one - my previous employer had two flag poles at the front of the HQ (one for the union flag and one for the organisation flag) and we always used to dip them to half mast on 11th november and on other notable occasions (such as the death of the queen mother and on 9/11 etc )

we would also drop the organisation flag but not the uniuon to half mast on the death of a trustee or staff member etc

are you saying that by doing so we were contravening the planning laws

Saw a Union flag flying proudly outside a house today and it looked great, theres no finer sight than the Union or National flag, what a shame people in this country havnt got the same sense of national pride as other countries have

big soft moose":34vivnb0 said:
misterfish":34vivnb0 said:
Flags must always be flown at full mast

mrfish slightly confused about this one - my previous employer had two flag poles at the front of the HQ (one for the union flag and one for the organisation flag) and we always used to dip them to half mast on 11th november and on other notable occasions (such as the death of the queen mother and on 9/11 etc )

we would also drop the organisation flag but not the uniuon to half mast on the death of a trustee or staff member etc

are you saying that by doing so we were contravening the planning laws

I was only quoting what I had found out.

Alan Jones":34vivnb0 said:
Saw a Union flag flying proudly outside a house today and it looked great, theres no finer sight than the Union or National flag, what a shame people in this country havnt got the same sense of national pride as other countries have

My sentiment exactly, but our sense of national pride and identity seems to be somewhat lacking when compared to others.

Misterfish

Alan Jones":3u3pqowd said:

Like most American things, it'll take a while to catch on over here...

Back