Anyone live on a boat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO has an ambition to sell the house and live permanently on a narrow boat. I can't say that I'm sold on the idea (where would I put the workshop?!) but I know next to nothing about it. Neither of us has ever stepped foot on a narrow boat.

Does anyone here have any experience of owning or living on a boat? What the costs are, maintenance, rules & regs, etc?

Thanks!

I have built a number of boats and owned five.I have never lived aboard but have plenty of friends and aquaintances who have. Don't even consider selling a house and moving on board a narrow boat! Lots of idiots think that you can live where you like on the canal system free of charge. Just owning and mooring a modest size boat will cost about £7000 a year before fuel and operating costs, repairs and docking etc.
Have a test of your idea by hiring a boat for a month during the winter months, you won't be going far because the cut is closed for maintenance at many points.
The Canal And River Trust are slowly getting to grips with he problem of freeloaders. Who are trying to buck the system and live aboard without a mooring. Have a look at Canalword.com where you will find all the info you need.
What you have suggested is possible to do but also a method of loosing huge amounts of money. Those who are selling boats will tell you it's wonderful, don't fall for it.
Top tip is -never ever buy a boat before have your own survey carried out. Don't trust a survey from the seller or broker
Mike.

I can't speak for narrow boats but have lived at sea most of my adult life.
1) Even on a 70m superyacht cabin fever is very real - how will you cope cooped up in a little box when the weather is lousy?
2) Think your marriage is strong? You'll find out soon enough!
3) Anything at all to do with boats is expensive.

It flies, f**ks or floats - cheaper to rent. Is my parting shot.

Heard a good one on a high number tv channel boating program.

BOAT == "bung on another thousand".

Living on a narrow boat? Never done it but wouldn't fancy winter and frozen cuts, as others have said.
xy

We hired twice, Long weekend in October, following year, the same in late November, loved it.
Decided to buy, had one now for 7 years.
Hire one to try, DON'T rent one to live on, it's highly unlikely to be licensed, insured, or safety checked correctly. (Ask to see the Landlords gas safety check paperwork, just as a start!)

Bod

It's something I would love to do one day but with the full knowledge that it is not a cheap way to live as others have said. Probably never be a reality but do plan to try it out as a holiday sometime in the next few years if possible.

There is a large & increasing number of houseboats round here, in fact everywhere in the tidal creeks on the estuaries that they can get away with it. Usually this is a lifestyle choice dictated by hard times.For many on low incomes they have fallen of the grid. Most of the boats will be in poor condition & not seaworthy. And so they bring problems, rubbish disposal non existent so they sling it straight into the tide, likewise sewage goes straight into the tide. Councils & Port of London authority turn a blind eye as its impossible to rehouse them all.
Do you want to live like this?

It's rather different on the Inland waterways, the rules enshrined by statue are not the same as Tidal waters.

Bod

I've spent some time on a narrow boat in the winter. Condensation and damp are the killers unless you keep the heating going permanently, I hate putting on damp clothes in the morning.

I live on a boat for 6 months of the year. Not too bad, however mine is 180 metres in length. My accommodation is the size of a small flat.it belongs to someone else so no bills for me, and I get paid a decent wage.

DTR":s2914gf6 said:
SWMBO has an ambition to sell the house and live permanently on a narrow boat. I can't say that I'm sold on the idea (where would I put the workshop?!) but I know next to nothing about it. Neither of us has ever stepped foot on a narrow boat.

Does anyone here have any experience of owning or living on a boat? What the costs are, maintenance, rules & regs, etc?

Thanks!

Just make sure first you think good about it, because to sell house it is much easier than to sell boat.

I have had my office on a narrowboat for the last 12 years and it has been infinitely better than the conventional office I had in the five years prior.
My office (65') has a diesel fire and central heating system and it is as warm as toast in winter. With shore power and telephone/broadband land lines which just unplug when I move the boat gives all the comforts of home when static and freedom to move when you want to.

As for costs of living aboard, it depends on where you plan on staying. If you are based in a marina then the mooring charge will depend on where you are based and the length of your boat. A lot of people cruise the waterways and dont visit marinas unless they need to fuel up or pump out so marina costs can be avoided.

Canal boats need to be licenced and the cost depends on length , if you Google Canal & River Trust who now administer inland waterways you will see the costs and get other advice on boat ownership.

There is a very welcoming community on the canals and it is a very pleasant environment.

Back