Any users of CBN sharpening wheels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on these? Axminster sell 8" wheels for £100. Looks tempting. Would mainly be used for wood turning tools.
Also, are they suitable for sharpening my older carbon steel turning tools?

K

Those who use them speak very highly of them, one property in particular singled out for praise is their ability to grind fast with much less risk of overheating. I don't know if they're all made equally but this would make one, if it runs as advertised, very suited to older turning tools not made of HSS.

CBN wheels are amazing. I would never go back to using a traditional grinding wheel !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

IMHO the 180 grit isn't fine enough. It shows up every striation across the bevel.
I had a job fitting mine onto the 1-1/4" bushes that come with the Axminster slow grinder.
Axminster's response was that the bore is 32mm even though it's stated as 1-1/4" on their web page.
Luckily the bushes run true in a woodturning chuck so some fine emery solved my problem.

You would probably get a better response if this was posted in the woodturning section. :)

Hi Robbo. What do you use to grind your tools, apart from the cbn wheel? What I am wondering is how does the 180 cbn compare in coarseness to alum oxide wheels.

K

Back