Antique Pine Wax?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure you want a WAX finish? the briwax stuff is terrible terrible terrible product . so much frustration with it, stinks like crazy, and likes to rub off ,throws problems when applying it etc and it's just not durable at all. I have no idea why such product is even made and rated so highly on the reviews- I guess its rated by the people who just buy 1 tin of it , spread it somewhere, at first it looks nice so they just rate it highly :D If you have worked with that stuff for a while and used the furniture covered with it- you will realize what a junk product it is.

If I were you I would Get oil based stuff , such as Osmo polyx (they got various shades) or Fiddes hardwax oil (also a lot of good shades).
also the oil based stuff has 3-4x better coverage for the same amount, briwax I was lucky to get about 7m2 per litre / oils are more like 20-25m2 per litre and gives much better finish. It takes about 100ml to do 1 average sized door in 2coats from my experience.

Apologies for the late reply David, appreciate the advice. Still haven't finished the doors yet but I'll look at the products you recommended. Thank you.

I second that about Briwax; I used to make furniture at a place about 30 years ago and I remember more than one occasion where I shouldn't have been riding my bike home after spending all day waxing bookcases with Briwax. High as a kite from the fumes. So if you do use it definitely somewhere well ventilated :) I like Osmo or Danish oil myself. Simpler/less mess (unless you drown it!) than Briwax to apply. All imo of course.

I've used Danish Oil on the first door, BIG BIG mistake, looks absolutely bloody awful, far too yellow. Anyone any idea how to remove Danish Oil?

Latest posts

Back