Another home made shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to make a shoulder plane.

The method was from Robert Wearing's excellent book on Making Woodwork Aids & Devices - pieces of mild steel riveted together, with infill and wedge from a scrap of old mahogany.

These were the materials:

IMG_1613.jpg

Sequence is to roughly cut out the two sides, clamped together with a few screws and nuts. File to shape, and rivet together using 10mm square stock in between. This shows one side with the sole (still in one piece) a lower slope and an upper piece to hold the wedge.

IMG_1633.jpg

Here I am filing the central hole, having drilled out the shape.

IMG_1639.jpg

Countersink the holes, rivet the pieces together, then file the rivets flat.

IMG_1868.jpg

Carefully file from the centre to open up the mouth, checking with the blade in place to keep it nice and tight.

Here's the finished thing:

IMG_1872.jpg

I enjoyed doing it, and learnt several things:

You can make a useful plane with basic tools, even if it's 35+ years since you did school metalwork.

Make the rivets about 3mm overlength, not 2 - most of mine were not properly filled up when I filed them smooth.

Leave enough clearance for the blade to go in to the assembled plane and turn round in the opening - I had to shift the upper steel piece and also bevel the edges of the blade.

It took me a long time, to make something functional but crude - the hours of work that you get in a second hand example for £50-100 now seem very good value!

Andy

Andy

That's impressive! Is that rod you used for the rivets just mild steel, may I ask? And did you pene with a hammer or a hammer and punch combination? Wish I knew more about metal work.....!

Wish I knew more about metal work.....!
I know this is a woodworking forum Evergreen but if you've any problems with metal work just ask. If somebody on here doesn't know the answer I'll eat my hat! :roll:

Roy.

Evergreen asked

Is that rod you used for the rivets just mild steel, may I ask? And did you pene with a hammer or a hammer and punch combination?

The rod was mild steel, 3/16 inch diameter, from Chronos metals, into 3/16 inch holes. Peening was just with a ball pein hammer on the little anvil area at the back of the vice.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. You don't need unusual skill to do something like this, provided you don't expect it to be quick!

Andy

ByronBlack asked

what did you use to cut the initial shape out of the sheet metal?

I just used a straight hacksaw to cut the rough shape, and a half round file to clean it up and make the curves smooth.

IMG_1617.jpg

Andy

Latest posts

Back