ALDI - TableSaw £89.99

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transatlantic":1tx925a8 said:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-25-oct/product-detail/ps/p/product-page-91/

I know - I know. That's far too little to expect to pay for a descent table saw, but it's has a 3 year warranty, so how bad can it be?.

I'm personally saving up for the Bosch 4100, but this could be a stop gap?

it could be useless. i expect that it will have a pressed top which may not be flat and a fence that will deflect in use. In my local aldi, it is just boxes, you cant check. I dont know if any of the larger ones have them on display.

marcros":tl7v3vw3 said:
transatlantic":tl7v3vw3 said:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-25-oct/product-detail/ps/p/product-page-91/

I know - I know. That's far too little to expect to pay for a descent table saw, but it's has a 3 year warranty, so how bad can it be?.

I'm personally saving up for the Bosch 4100, but this could be a stop gap?

it could be useless. i expect that it will have a pressed top which may not be flat and a fence that will deflect in use. In my local aldi, it is just boxes, you cant check. I dont know if any of the larger ones have them on display.

I suspect it will have exactly those issues, but that will become apparent when you come to test it, in which you can easily return it before the end of the refund period (isn't it 60 days for Aldi?)

So I guess, if you don't mind potentially wasting your time, it's worth the gamble? I haven't had any experience returning anything to Aldi though, so not sure how difficult they are.

generally they are very good. The downside is that if you have a faulty product, but want a replacement you may struggle because they wont have stock in a months time. but they will issue a refund. I dont know the refund period, but you would be able to tell the first time that you use it whether it has those issues.

marcros":3okcryu0 said:
I dont know the refund period, but you would be able to tell the first time that you use it whether it has those issues.

Sure - I was thinking that you may spend a little time trying to work around/correct them.

Doing a quick google image search for 'aldi tablesaw', brings up a few images of past products that look very similar but of a lower rating. It's cleary pressed metal as you say. But I wonder if it could be made more solid by adding mdf to fill the content of the preset sheet, as well as replacing the angled supports with something more beefy?

The biggest concers for me are :

1) The mitre tracking. in cheap saws, you often get a lot of slop, where the bar isn't a good fit for the track. If there isn't too much slop, I've seen people use a punch to press out some of the material, thus slightly increasing the width of the bar.

2) A crappy fence. I don't think there is much you can correct here, other than replacing it with something else. (Home made of course - no point spending money on a cheap saw)

3) Slop/play after setting the saw angle

Some really helpful posts. If it's all you can afford, and you're looking to get started in this hobby, then go for it. It will do what it says on the box. And if it doesn't, they'll give you your money back.

Unfortunately we can't all afford a professional saw, and I bet most of you who do own one have only got it because "with a saw like this I must be an expert".

mod edit

I've had occasion to shop for fairly bargain basement tools over the years. That's my way of saying I'm usually broke. Even so , it is hard for me to understand why prices for power tools are so high across the water from me. While my table saw is no great shakes , it does have a cast table and a pretty fair fence and guarding. I got it from the Mcdonalds of hardware , Canadian tire, for about 140 dollars Canadian. That is probably very near 90 pounds. It is a site type saw that came with an assemblable stand that works very well. It has adequate power and a fairly large and well machined table with quite accurate mitre slots. Why is it that you fellows must pay so much for your tools? Is it a matter of taxation , or is it something else? Just curious about this , it just seems odd.

lanemaux":ox82qylj said:
I've had occasion to shop for fairly bargain basement tools over the years. That's my way of saying I'm usually broke. Even so , it is hard for me to understand why prices for power tools are so high across the water from me. While my table saw is no great shakes , it does have a cast table and a pretty fair fence and guarding. I got it from the Mcdonalds of hardware , Canadian tire, for about 140 dollars Canadian. That is probably very near 90 pounds. It is a site type saw that came with an assemblable stand that works very well. It has adequate power and a fairly large and well machined table with quite accurate mitre slots. Why is it that you fellows must pay so much for your tools? Is it a matter of taxation , or is it something else? Just curious about this , it just seems odd.

A combination of lack of home grown manufacturers, taxation and simple market forces - there are far more people available within train transport distance of the eastern shore of your continent that the UK.

(oh and pretty much everyone thinks the entire country is paved with gold - but that's a different topic of discussion)

If the blade is sharp and you know your way around a TS, you can work with just about anything.
But if you are new to all this, the shortcomings of the lower end saws can be a problem.

If money is an issue, a good second hand TS is a better way to go. Preferably the cast iron variety.

We'll I've got the Axminster TS200 and I can't work with that. Basically the roving knife and blade are out of alignment so my cuts are fine until I get to the roving knife and then that wants to push the wood out of alignment. This is going slightly off topic but I'm just saying you can't work it anything. However I don't see much risk with this if you are prepared to take a punt and buy it and assemble it, then if it's no good you've just wasted your time but you should be able to get a refund. However I personally wouldn't buy something and then try and spend loads of time making it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little while ago, I was looking at an Axminster table saw. The guy in the showroom said I would be better off with a Makita brand as the Axminster saws " aren't as good as they should be"

I have had one for six months and have used it a lot generally with a homemade sledge. I replaced the blade with one with more tpi for finer cut. The fence does flex, but I get round this by clamping it square at the end. It's a powerful, but quite noisy saw. I think it's very good value for money.

Back on topic
rafezetter":1ytyjknw said:
lanemaux":1ytyjknw said:

- there are far more people available within train transport distance of the eastern shore of your continent that the UK.

Not sure if population has much to do with it, entire population of Canada is roughly half that of the UK.
Oh no wait, Continent! wonder how many people are a reasonable train ride from a canadian tire or similar?

It has always seemed strange that we should pay what seems double for similar goods. Would have thought the DIY revolution and the likes of Toolstation/Screwfix etc would have done something to drop the price of REASONABLE quality tools but it would seem not.

I'm sure we would all like to have space and funds to go off and buy a full collection of Lie Nielsen/Festool (insert high end manufacturer of your choice) tools to sit alongside the array Wadkin machinery.... meanwhile back in the real world.

If with a little fettling it does the job then go for it, just watch your pinkies!

Back