Aldi bandsaw....does anybody have one and can comment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I know its not going to cut 4 inches of oak, but I have been considering a band saw for very occasional, (and limited) use and was wondering if anybody had got one of these for light work and what they thought of it?

80mm max cutting depth, I think... and oak shouldn't be a problem with a sharp blade.

If it's set up correctly, I see no reason why it won't do the same job as any other saw of that size.

3 year warranty though, if it's no good take it back.

... and the fence looks better than the one on my Kity saw.

Steve it is exactly the same saw as the Scheppach HBS20 bandsaw sold by Screwfix for £109 and by others for a fair bit more. It is a generic Chinese saw, imported for Aldi by Einhell who handle all the warranty stuff. A friend has the Scheppach version and he is very happy with his and I have just come back from his place having tried his saw to see if it was any good.

It is, and for the money it is a surprisingly good little bandsaw with a solid frame, a very quiet induction motor, a fence of sorts and a pressed steel table without a mitre slot. The fence doesn't lock down too well but the saw is about 3 years old and it has probably seen better days. I came away thinking of it as more of a fretsaw on steroids for free hand work rather than a precision slicer of accurately dimensioned wood.

Bin the supplied blade sharpish (because it isn't) and get aTuffsaws one and for £80 and about £8 for the blade you will have a reasonable little saw for thinnish stuff. The blade wanders a bit on anything over 1" and as the motor is only 350w, it will struggle a bit.

Before everyone comes on and says it's not a patch on their Record/Startrite or Axminster I will put my hands up and agree but for £80 and a 3 year warranty it is an ideal entry saw that will sit on a bench and, with a Tuffsaw blade installed, do a fair job for very little money. Plus if you decide after a fortnights testing that it really is a pile of Chinese dodo then pack it up and return it to Aldi who will refund you without even raising an eyebrow.

I am going to get one on Thursday.

it looks so tiny? is it a toy bandsaw?
350W-Band-Saw-F.jpg

350W-Band-Saw-G.jpg

For all of those thinking of a small bench top bandsaw, and think the Aldi one is either a toy or carp, stop reading now.

I have just unpacked mine, adjusted the table, guide bearings and the wheel tracking/tension and, even on the supplied blade, it is cutting beautifully and, quite remarkably, square. It is a super bit of kit and no not qualified by 'for the money', it is just a super bit of kit.

The supplied fence is so-so, the table is pressed steel rather than cast and there is no mitre track to put a usually wholly inaccurate mitre guide in but the frame is very well finished and solid, the induction motor is quiet and smooth and both plastic doors have micro-switches.

It is exactly the same saw as the Screwfix (amongst others) Scheppach HBS 20 and the instruction manual even says Workzone HBS 20. It is however is £29 cheaper than Screwfix, has a 3 year rather than a 2 year warranty and all in all it is a delightful little saw.

Added: Just done some 0.45mm slices off 18mm thick oak using the fence. Consistent thickness along the whole of the 150mm length. This is a keeper.

Mine arrived yesterday and also found the machine worked well, manual not very good, some items have duplicate identication letters, (I think).
Designed a table stand last night at 3 am so getting out to my workshop early and use up some of my timber stock.

Agree the manual is pants and the printed illustrations are particularly difficult to read.

Alex Snodgrass's Bandsaw Clinic video on YouTube is excellent for tuning up the little Aldi/Scheppach saw.

I am really impressed with the saw and have found dust collection to be very good hooked up to a Festool Midi. The hose end fits the saw outlet perfectly.

Got mine today. Lovely sturdy machine, easy to assemble despite the dark instructions.

My only issue thus far is the table- it's bowed by a good few mm. Is this just a symptom of a cheap saw and you just make do or it is this something that will stop me being able to do anything of any worth on it?

da906ea5c5f53ac61ecdae9e8d17ad4c.jpg

b3c7e6de99a6c1c5b2d5872c8976985e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has a bow on it as well, I'm of a mind to put a plywood sheet on the top and then I can put a mitre track in t. Word of warning from other websites I'm on. When adjusting the guides, The grub screws (steel) go into an aluminium casting. I don't have to tell you what happens there! And yes I have stripped a thread. I'll get round it with epoxy.

bourbon":3fn6gnsj said:
Mine has a bow on it as well, I'm of a mind to put a plywood sheet on the top and then I can put a mitre track in t. Word of warning from other websites I'm on. When adjusting the guides, The grub screws (steel) go into an aluminium casting. I don't have to tell you what happens there! And yes I have stripped a thread. I'll get round it with epoxy.

I've not managed to strip a thread yet, so I am doing okay! I watched the Alex Snodgrass video and have adjusted best I can. The only thing is having not used a bandsaw before, I do not know the noise it should be making. Common sense says that there should be no grinding sounds, of which there aren't so that's a solid start! There's an occasional low pitched squeak and some other noise but nothing is graunching.

By the way, is it an odd design having the bearing that sits behind the blade face on to the blade as opposed to end on? I don't get how that's a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluegillUK":wzlg2rp4 said:
bourbon":wzlg2rp4 said:
By the way, is it an odd design having the bearing that sits behind the blade face on to the blade as opposed to end on? I don't get how that's a better option.

By Engineering standards its deplorable, but its the cheapest option for the manufacturer, and lots of them do it.

Mike

That table is terrible. I suppose a cheap Bandsaw is better than no Bandsaw, but I don't think I could live with that.

I would take it back and sink some more money into something with a decent table and motor.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back