Advice on tools to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":237jpmic said:
MikeJhn":237jpmic said:
Mutley Racers":237jpmic said:
What are your thoughts on router tables? I would like to make some of my own mouldings for my built ins etc so would like one of these.

The first thing you are going to be told is build your own, fine if you have the time, but personally I bought one of these:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+june-sale+ ... omo=DK2080

Lots of variants around at about £150.00, but the fence is not up to much and the dust extraction is not the best, but then even the expensive ones have limitations.

Mike

Built in router lift.

Mike

Hehe. Back onto that link again hey. For some reason I am not feeling this table??

I know what you mean, it is what it is a £150.00 router table with a not very good fence, but a built in router lift, I wouldn't like to do a big project with mine, but making picture frame mouldings, architraves and the like it would be fine, its also not that heavy so can be picked up and stored under a bench and brought out when needed.

I wonder if the router, lift and controls could be fitted into one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... les-717126 can't see why not with a bit of ingenuity.

Mike

MikeJhn":2h2wnjbb said:
I know what you mean, it is what it is a £150.00 router table with a not very good fence, but a built in router lift, I wouldn't like to do a big project with mine, but making picture frame mouldings, architraves and the like it would be fine, its also not that heavy so can be picked up and stored under a bench and brought out when needed.

I wonder if the router, lift and controls could be fitted into one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technolo ... les-717126 can't see why not with a bit of ingenuity.

Mike

Ah ha, now I see where you are coming from. Now that would be worthwhile and cheaper than the ujk lift. Hmmmm

MikeJhn":1p6p7e28 said:
I have the UJK Professional router table and the compact router table fence fitted to a second string table, the fence's are very very good IMO, but I consider the router lift an almost essential for my old bones, can't keep bending down under the table to lock and unlock the router and adjust its height.

Mike

With the cast top

No I have the Phenolic top, the table is kept in my barn and I was concerned about the rust issue, but it does seem to be a non concern as the cast top on the table saw does not seem to rust as I thought it would, I give it a coat of machine wax and soft cover it for winter and it seems to stay rust free, but then this is in France and the atmosphere is not as damp as the UK.

Mike

Thanks for the all your help Mike. I bought all my tools today. Went for the bosch 10inch mitre saw, bosch 10 inch table saw and a trend router table. Happy with router table and mitre saw but the table saw is so stiff towards 45 degree's that it won't get there. Supposed to do 47 degree's really.

On some table saw's the height lock needs to be loose and the blade lowered prior to trying to angle the blade, that may be your problem.

Mike

MikeJhn":2ap82osl said:
On some table saw's the height lock needs to be loose and the blade lowered prior to trying to angle the blade, that may be your problem.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I tried all these and still no joy. I could get it there but the table ends up lifting when trying to so not sure what the crack is there.

Sounds like the insert is not able to accommodate a 45 deg angle, if its removable take it off and try again.

Mike

MikeJhn":671awbr8 said:
Sounds like the insert is not able to accommodate a 45 deg angle, if its removable take it off and try again.

Mike

It's definitely not touching the insert when turned. The mind boggles

Then something is fouling the table to make it lift when you try, take the blade out and try again, its possibly the mechanism.

Mike

MikeJhn":26j0zfk4 said:
Then something is fouling the table to make it lift when you try, take the blade out and try again, its possibly the mechanism.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Will try at the weekend if I get some free time. Will keep you posted. Really appreciate all your help.

Out of interest, can you recommend a good tool to check all fence's, blades etc are square

Any accurate square will do, I use a steel engineers square I inherited off an Uncle, but you could always make one out of hardwood using 3:4:5 triangulation, find it helps if you paint something like that a really Gordy colour, stops you using it for propping up a chair leg etc.

Mike

Back