Advice on running costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazychimpjimbo

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Girls!

Im new to this site so big hello!

Currently work in IT but next couple of years Im looking to leave this trade and enter the world of Furniture making. Mainly because I love doing it rather than the cash it brings! So I just wanted some advice from you guys that already have a workshop and use them to do this what are your running costs? I not needing exact amounts but as pretty much every tool is electric these days what do you spend or do you know your rough Kilowatts/Megawatts a year you consume?

Sorry for this being a not very exciting question!
James

Electricity for machinery is a barely noticeable cost compared to the high costs of a big enough workshop and the just as high cost of good enough machinery and the rather high cost of heating the workshop.

When talking about electricity costs then the fixed cost of a big enough three phase connection is a significant part of the total. You need a 20 ampere three phase connection to start with but if you step up production you end up needing 25 or 32 amperes.
If you are going to run a four side planer you probably need even bigger fuses if you cannot rig it with flat belt transmission from a salvaged old diesel engine.

However you run your machines at full loads for only short spells if you work alone. Hence the cost of the big connection becomes disproportionally heavy on your economy compared to the price of the electricity consumed.

Not a lot would be my guess.

I have an assembly workshop that cost about £70 per month on leccy. Thats mostly lighting, power tools and air dryer unit. Its about 15m x 5m

Our main machining workshop costs about £500 per month on leccy, but its 10m x 30m and has machines ranging from 3kw to 30kw in it. Also it has about 70no 6ft T8 tubes, which is about 5kw lighting.

If you arent using electricity for heating, then your costs will be lighting which is on 8 hours per day and say 1 x machine plus extractor for a few hours per day.

You guys are awesome! Wow what a quick response!!

My work shop will be 3x30ft Hi iso Containers Space so probably 9.5m x 10m and 2.6m high so nothing massive yet it is in my eyes!! haha. Its just me working and probably going to be doing or two jobs at a time and to begin with Ill be part time to! So what you have told me is very positive as I believe solar and a power wall will probably run this work shop cost free! Sorry the computer side coming out there!

:)

No way that will work.
I must be frank to save you from a significant economical loss. Forget it.
If you intend to work off grid on renewable energy you will need a good sized water turbine complete with dams and pond and all and of cause a river at your disposal.

Those batteries just cannot hold enough power.
They promise 5 kw steady power or 7 kW peaks. That is just not enough. Particularly not as they work only on single phase and you loose quite a bit when converting to three phase. With only 4 or 4,5 kW at yor disposal you will barely be able to run basic machines using old fashioned star-delta starters but you cannot have any dust collection nor any lighting nor any heating when you work and very soon the battery will be empty. Bigger machines will not start at all.
With those limitations you aren't likely to ever make any money. There will be too many days and hours of standstioll due to shortage of power.

I have worked on 3x16 ampere plugs plus a single phase 10 ampere plug. That translates to 7,5 kw continous machine power plus lighting when taking normal energy losses into account. That was a very tight absolute minimum which caused me a good deal of trouble and wasted workhours as I didn't have power enough for the machines I needed to work efficiently.

Heimlaga is right. Solar power and a power wall has no chance if you are intent on any kind of commercial production. The starting draw on a big bandsaw plus cyclone extractor (or any powerful enough extractor for serious work) will overwhelm it. Likewise any P/T capable of serious work. Lighting is irrelevant really as LED arrays draw nothing much, but proper machinery requires a proper supply. I just run what is really a serious DIY workshop and I ended up putting in a 32 amp machine supply alongside the existing 13amp supply.

You will need to insulate your container and heat it in winter (or you will be frozen and wet). Factor that in too.

Back