Acrylic on oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Made an oak thing (on a lathe) and dunked in tung oil. Was thinking of using acrylic spray can over the tung. How long should I wait before applying the acrylic ? ..until the tung has fully cured (how long is that ? A week, two?) or just until the tung is dry?

Thanks

I'm not absolutely certain, but I don't think that will work. Tung never fully cured and I'd always soft. Acrylic is hard and therefore won't I believe like being over a soft layer. You'd be better off with an oil based paint.

Thanks Deema. I didn't describe what I was doing properly. I'm thinking of using clear acrylic spray over the tung so the wood grain remains visible. Does tung really never fully polymerise ? Live and learn !

I'm no expert, and my understanding is that Tung forms a skin and beneath this it does not fully cure. If damaged / scratched the exposed Tung re-skins. Equally as it wears off it re-skins. This is what makes it such a good finish. I personally wood leave it with just Tung, if ever you need to re-finish it will be really easy where as if you put acrylic on top te-finishing becomes very labour intensive.

Tung oil, like all drying oils, will cure fully or through-harden as it's called in the paint world. This process proceeds naturally as oxygen reacts with the oil and it can't be halted, so no oil remains permanently wet under the surface in normal circumstances although it can seem that way in paint films because it can take a looong time. But this is very different, when applied directly to wood oils don't penetrate very deeply at all so the coat of oil is very much thinner and cures much faster.

But this is a slow-drying oil so don't read faster as fast, here instead of months to years it's weeks (at minimum).

dcmguy, depending on how scrupulously you dried the surface I'd be inclined to wait at least a couple of weeks, but waiting a full month would be safer. Drying and curing times are always dependent on temperature and humidity, because it's getting cooler unfortunately we're heading into much longer wait times for oils and oil-based finishes. Unless you can place the piece somewhere where it'll stay warm and there's good airflow which will greatly speed curing time.

Regardless of what your drying conditions are like it would be safest to assess how 'dry' it is rather than pick a timeframe and then just go ahead when that time has past. The feel of the surface and the odour are good guides to how curing has progressed, the wood shouldn't feel noticeably cool and the smell should be much diminished.

The gold standard for full cure is when the thing has no odour at all, but with raw tung oil I'd expect that to take about 4-6 months over here even with just one coat!

Back