Accessory Blades for the Veritas Small Plow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a short pictorial on setting up the Small Plow to cut T&Gs. This is a new-to-me plane, and I took a few pics as I was working out the kinks and having a little play. I hope this helps some of you.

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... lPlow.html

AccessoryBladesfortheVeritasSmallPlow_html_m287f1529.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hello,

Thanks for the post, I love LV planes, but cannot really justify buying any more, since I have more planes than I can use anyway! It is good to see the things we covet actually being used and enjoyed, though we might not get to do the same (not yet anyway, I might have to offload some of my collection and get some Veritas goodies)

I have a Record 405, but I have never actually used it as a match plane, so this post might spur me on to give it a go. It is a heavy beast compared to the small plough you have, but I like it for the odd edge beading job. I usually plough with a 043 which is tiny but handy. Perhaps I could justify a LN small plough after all, to fit nicely betweed the two...Hmm.

Mike.

I've just got the tongue blades for this thing, but I've only perused the manual so far. However, I have a question. The manual says, "When the tongues have been cut, swap the blade with an appropriately sized on to cut the matching groove." I took this to mean that you could keep the same fence setting and all, and simply install the appropriate groove blade. Is this not the case?

Derek/Adrian, how long are the cutters for this plane? I was wondering if they were of a suitable length to be used in either a Record #050 or Stanley/Record #45/405.

They will, of course, fit a Record 043 as these don't have an adjuster - so it doesn't matter where the notch is.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann

I have no idea whether the LV blades will fit the Stanley. However you must take note that these blades require a chip deflector to work, and the Stanley may not be able to position this correctly, even if it fits the depth stop.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Vann

I have no idea whether the LV blades will fit the Stanley. However you must take note that these blades require a chip deflector to work, and the Stanley may not be able to position this correctly, even if it fits the depth stop.
Thanks Derek. I was thinking that even if the T&G cutters don't work, the standard plough cutters probably will.

New Record 050 cutters are ~74mm long overall, although there seems enough adjustment to take a cutter anything from 80mm max to 58mm min (worn out). So, if the Veritas cutters are within this range then it is likely that the LH ones will fit a Record 050.

New Stanley/Record/Clifton 45/405 cutters are ~94mm long overall, and my Stanley 45 has enough adjustment to take a cutter anything from ~96mm max to 75mm min (worn out). So, if the Veritas cutters are within this range then it is likely that the RH cutters will fit a #45 multiplane.

If you're able to measure a Veritas cutter, I might take a punt and purchase one to test my theory.

Cheers, Vann.

I measured two of the Veritas groove blades and found them to be 83 mm long. I measured a T&G blade and it seemed to be a bit longer at 84 mm. All three were 3.1 mm thick.

Note that I've found customer service at Lee Valley pretty responsive to answering questions like this sent by email.

Thanks Adrian.

I might order one with my next LV order (I'm thinking of buying my nephew & godson a Skew Rabbet for his 21st in October - he's an apprentice boatbuilder, and expressed an interest in one).

Cheers, Vann.

Back