A pine "scrubbed top"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some more info on a scrubbed top dining table. I've just completed the large part of the build for one for our farmhouse and I'd read elsewhere on here that a great finish is just leaving it bare, wiping down when needed and then giving it a scrub with a brush and some soda crystals once a month. And lo, there ends my knowledge of the subject.

Anyone with some more info or do I have all I need already?

I think you have all you need already :)

I think there were longstanding traditions in various parts of these isles of using Sunlight or carbolic soaps for this but scrub with any kind of hot soapy water and it'll probably do the job just as well. It's the drying out afterwards that'll do most of the good work for you, same as with cutting boards.

It may be a bit late to say this, but I think that the really good farmhouse tables had pine frames but sycamore for the tops, which is a bit smoother and harder, with a nice close grain. But pine should be fine after a generation or two of hard use! :wink:

FWIW every "pine farmhouse table" I've had a proper look at was indeed pine or a lookalike softwood on top. Obviously on older pieces the growth rings would have been very narrow which wouldn't have hurt durability any, not that they would have cared if the top did get a corduroy effect in time I'm sure. Wasn't one of the occasional Olde Timey maintenance steps to scrub the tabletop down with sand every few years? That would guarantee you'd scour out the earlywood and leave the latewood standing proud.

Ta chaps.

We'll see how we like it and I can always change it up later. Saves me some work in the short term at least!

Still trying decide what do do about a plane for the top.

Back