A new model of marking gauge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":19m1kwv3 said:
Put the money towards a decent 24"/600mm combination square, that's a tool for life.

Use it as a panel gauge as per the photo (ignore the brass weight, it's just there to keep the blade of the combi square flat on the workpiece), you hold the stock of the combi square firmly against the workpiece, then slide it along with a pencil against the tip of the blade.

I thoroughly agree, mine is possibly my most-used-tool-wotsit. However I really regret shelling out far too much for a Starret Version. Totally not recommended for anyone who works outside a workshop without an oily rag handy. Get a PEC carpenters version, their blades are stainless, have sensible (non half mil or 1/32 markings) and are a third of the price………….not that I'm bitter mind.

The cheapest wooden gauges can be made to work very well with a bit of work!

I like to check that the stem is square to the face, which sometimes calls for some careful planing.

My pins get reground so that a mini crescent shaped knife, with a flat side is formed. These cut equally well cross grain or long grain.

A washer from a thick leather belt will stop the plastic screw from marking the stem.

My pins are re-positioned at an angle and a filed groove allows one to see both sides of the pin.

These gauges cut deeper and more easily than the wheel type, and are easier to stop and start in the right place.

The deeper cuts are much easier to engage a chisel in, and assist with further paring.

I learned a clever way of eliminating wobble from Colen Clenton.

Ah..........Quite a lot of work but a very good result.

David Charlesworth

Latest posts

Back