40 cuft of Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I went to Essex to pick up 26 cuft of oak from Creampuff, about 4 weeks ago I did the same trip for another 14 cuft.

What project would take up so much oak I hear you say, well I used it on a dais I built in my local church.

Just to give you an idea of dimensions the framework consists of 240 meters of 6" x 2" pine, the complete area is 42 square meters.

It took 3 weeks in the workshop to prepare the step sections and 4 weeks on site and apart from lifting in place the joined sections its been a one man show.

The steps consist of 8 separate sections, these are held together using
domino's and work top clamps. To tart up the joints I routed out a 5 mm grove and inlayed a strip of oak. The steps are secured with only a few SS screws is strategic points in sloppy holes.

Regarding any wood movement the sloppy holes should help, but i don't expect a great deal because the wood has been onsite for ages.

Underneath the carpet is the T&G chipboard flooring.

Hope you enjoyed viewing.

Wow, that is quite a project! I hope you carved your name on it somewhere so you'll be known through the coming centuries!

bl**dy H*ll Waka.....Oops sorry Heavens! That is a great job, some work in it too. Congratulations mate. There'll be a place for you up there I am sure. :D

Waka

That is one bloody impressive piece of work there mate, it never ceases to amaze me what timber can be turned into in the hands of an artist.

Very well done mate.
Any chance of some closer shots showing off some of that grain?

Regards

Andy

Well done Tony. I remember you talking about it at the bash. Sounds like this has been a real labour of love. Done yourself proud my man and gave those tools a real work out.

So, it wasn't a typo after all!! :shock:

Very well done, Waka.

How did the job come about, just out of interest? Are you know as 'the local wood-butcherer' in Weymouth? :D

OPJ":2d88rci0 said:
So, it wasn't a typo after all!! :shock:

Very well done, Waka.

How did the job come about, just out of interest? Are you know as 'the local wood-butcherer' in Weymouth? :D

I actually replaced an old unstable dais that was already in place albeit a lot smaller than the replacement. Just to give you an example, it only took 40 minutes to remove.

As it's my church I offered to do it all free gratis.

Latest posts

Back