2012 Bowl Challenge ( The Results & Comments )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have the results for the January Bowl Challenge

Judged by Paul , Thanks Paul =D>

1st 6 points Boysie39
A simple understated curve with a slight reverse curve at the foot to lift the bowl. The chuck spigot was removed/reshaped rather than being left in. The angled inner rim leads the eye into the bowl and gives a lighter feel to the bowl. Nicely finished and well turned.

2nd 5 points Jumps
The ogee isn't always easy to get right but this one worked. Good proportions, removed/reshaped chuck spigot at the base. The foot size looks balanced with the bowl.

3rd 4 points Silverbirch
A well proportioned bowl with a nice simple detail around the inner rim to delineate the transition from bowl to rim. Nicely finished.

4th 3 points and Highly commended Hesh
Another good example of an ogee where the curve flows reasonably well. The foot lifts the bowl and allows the curve at the base to flow right through.

5th 2 points and Highly commended Cambournepete
A simple, well proportioned design with a flowing curve. The base shows the chuck spigot/recess was removed/reshaped. Nicely finished.

All other entrants get 1 point

Further Judges comments :-
Some general observations - Leaving the chuck recess or spigot generally leads to a thicker base than would otherwise be necessary and it adds nothing to the appeal so it's best removed (at least one entry would have been in the top 5 had they done this). Don't be afraid to take of as much wood as necessary to achieve a pleasing shape. Pay attention to balancing different sections and elements so they work together rather than competing. Finally, to help with judging, try to take the photos filling the frame with the item.

Well done to everyone involved and thank you for taking part and supporting the 2012 challenge

I will by 1st Feb complete the rules and requirements for the Suspended Ball challenge , to be judged by Richard

Well done guys!! Thanks paul for judging! So many bowls to choose from. It was great fun competing! Looking forwards to the February competition.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Would it be acceptable to everyone if I were to dedicate this win to our dear member who has just passed on.

To RATWOOD (CHRIS WOOD) R.I.P.

I am really over the moon with the result, I knew that my bowl was as good as I could make ,but was worried about the photos. My thanks to our judge Paul Hannaby for his excellant eye for a nice form. The brown envelope will be with you soon. :mrgreen:
I would like to say to all who entered looking at the pictures of your work, that I really am pleased to have been selected as the winner. I would not like to have had to select a winner from all those lovely pieces.
To Allen (Blister) Alan (Hud. Carp.) Paul (judge) Chas. (Chj). and everyone involved thank you all.
This was a very timely boost. Thank you

Congrats to the high scorers!
A lot of good entries for the first month!

Can't disagree with the results; some wonderful bowls alongside my own meagre effort. I am just happy to be turning in such exalted company. My target this year will be to score 12 points (i.e. an entry every month). Anything more will be fortuitous, I think, looking at the standard of the work from January.

Congratulations to all of the "top five" and many thanks to the organisers and the judge.

Roll on the next month's comp; can't wait to find out what it is - sounds interesting!!

Mike

henton49er":3kmdgia0 said:
Can't disagree with the results; some wonderful bowls alongside my own meagre effort. I am just happy to be turning in such exalted company. My target this year will be to score 12 points (i.e. an entry every month). Anything more will be fortuitous, I think, looking at the standard of the work from January.

Congratulations to all of the "top five" and many thanks to the organisers and the judge.

Roll on the next month's comp; can't wait to find out what it is - sounds interesting!!

Mike

+1 :)
=D>

Thanks to the team for their efforts, and this was quick too!

Pleased you liked mine as much as my wife ('wow, that's different; it's delicate and has curves' being her reaction!)

First time with more than one point... :shock:

Completely in the dark about suspended balls, and waiting for the light :arrow:

nev":2gkmjdnd said:
henton49er":2gkmjdnd said:

Mike

+1 :)
=D>

And another +1 here too. =D>

Now to form a cunning plan to get some more points on the board......... :-k

Seriously though, well done to everyone. My wee bowl pales into insignifigance when it's shown against the high quality being submitted.

A very difficult job judging methinks, and especially this month, a lot of competion for the top 5 and a few surprises there! thank you Paul.
and an extra well done to the challenge noobs, some good stuff in there!
heads down for next month (hammer)

As a challenge newbie I have to say I'm chuffed to bits with fourth considering the other entries. Thanks to everyone behind the scenes who make this posssible, it gives people like myself the motivation to go out and do something different each month ( and a suspended ball is definaltely going to be different for me.....) Keep up the good work everyone. =D> =D>

Steve

I am really chuffed for Eugene. You are always so helpful and supportive of everyone else it is a true delight to see you at the top

=D> =D> =D>

It is often said - who would be a judge, but I think Paul's constructive comments are most helpful in understanding what is/was required. It is a helpful tool in the learning process.

Fantastic effort by everyone and very pleasing to see the participation going back up. A real vindication of Blister's energies in pushing and pulling the Challenge along.

Now about these "balls" for February ..... I don't have a clue!

Well done Eugene - A worthy winner!

Some excellent bowls this month and very interesting to see the different ways of tackling a pretty tight brief.

Paul, I`m sure all would agree that both your general and specific comments are helpful and much appreciated.

Ian

Back