12v drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorely tempted to get this from Axminster as my old de Walt finally packed up on my yesterday. Anyone got any experience of this make?..looks quite a good deal as well - Rob

Bit low on power at 1.5 Ah But depends on how much you use it, got 2.4Ah on my 12V DW stuff. In fact Axminsters had a deal a while back - drill/driver and torch with two batteries & charger for less than the cost of teh two batteries. I got one just for the batteries, don't really need the torch and another D/D is always handy

Jason

jasonB":moyyxqco said:
Bit low on power at 1.5 Ah But depends on how much you use it, got 2.4Ah on my 12V DW stuff. In fact Axminsters had a deal a while back - drill/driver and torch with two batteries & charger for less than the cost of teh two batteries. I got one just for the batteries, don't really need the torch and another D/D is always handy

Jason

It's not going to be used as a site tool, so the capacity isn't critical...12v though is more than adequate power for a general 'shop drill driver. I was just wondering what others felt about the build quality etc...there's already a good review on the Ax site on this little drill. The other feature I like is that there's a cunning feature that ensures the battery ain't overcharged and of course the batts are Li-on - Rob

Rob - no experience of that particular drill, but I do have one of their 18v cordless SDS drills. Fantastic build quality - well up there with the best.

Cheers

Karl

I just bought these for workshop use, partly whilst my Metabo is away being fixed;

210701_xl.jpg

Have been very pleased so far.

EDIT - should also have said that they were in the Popular Woodworking 'best tools of 2008' and also favourably mentioned by Chris Schwartz in his blog a couple of times.

Cheers, Ed

I have the milwaukee 18volt and 28volt line which are very good and tough. However they seem to drop in and out of the Uk market so it can be a bit frustrating getting the full range which in the 12volt line includes some nifty little saws and pipe cutters.
It is worth noting that the 12volt mini things are meant to be the same as the bosch 10.8volt line in terms of power its just that one is imput and the other output or something. i read this somewhere but don't shoot me if this is wrong.
So with this is mind wouldn't it be worth looking at the bosch or makita which seem to be a bit cheaper and have more uk based accesories. Also the bosch seems to be little slow for drilling and I know they have bought out a drill only version to counter this problem which I think you can get a free driver with by shopping around a bit.
Owen

RichardHw

Sorry if this is ignorant of me, but why would you be dubious of TTi?

I believe their range is pretty good. I have the one plus range, as well as hilti, festool, makita, hitachi etc etc.... and have always found the ryobi stuff to be ok for the money. Do you know something I don't? 'Cos I was gonna buy more......

Thanks

Neil

Neil, Like you i have Ryobi and I find nothing wrong with it, I don't think it's as good as Makita or Hitachi etc but it's not the same price either.
The thing is brand names get bought out and passed on and it's not that often that a brand improves.
I have an Atlas Copco drill (part of the AEG group) made in Germany and it is almost indestructable but will it be the same as one made in China? even if it has the same name.
Hoover have been bought out so many times you could loose count and the experiences I have had with Dirt Devil have been more than a little dissapointing.
I don't know if Milwaukee are as good as they used to be, they were very good. Glad it's not me choosing :!:
http://www.routerforums.com/tool-review ... tools.html
Cheers
Richard

Looking again at the pic and reading the spec, it comes with a quarter inch hex chuck, so I rang the technoweenies at Axminster last night and asked them how you fit a 10mm drill (the metal capacity if memory serves) into a hex chuck?
'Ah'says they...'you need to buy an additional keyless chuck (cost about £21) to fit into the hex chuck'. So now the total cost is coming up to £138 or thereabouts so it's not quite such a good deal. However, from reading what others have said and doing a bit of scurfing of the t'internet in general, it appears that Milwaukee are quite highly thought of, so I'll probably put an order in for it tonight. Thanks for all the input on this one - Rob

Rob

I hold Milwaukee in very high regard, they're generally very well screwed together, and feel as if they could take a hell of a beating. In fact we have a couple in our school workshops, and they cope with anythyng that's thrown at them.

I bought an 18V combi drill last summer, and am very impressed with it; however if i was to make the purchase again, I think that I'd have gone for one of these http://www.rexcrystal.co.uk/item.php?itemsID=1263 and maybe a corded SDS drill. I know that the smaller drill driver is a little more money than you want to pay, but the one I have at school is a real jem, and it has a proper chuck.

On the other hand, I have the Bosch 10V driver and impact driver (very similar to the ones Ed has) at home, and also find these to be excellent, especially for small jobs at the bench - they even fit in the tool well out of the way when not in use.

There you are, even more options for you to consider :roll:

Cheers

Aled

I didn't go for the Milwaukee in the end as it's a screwdriver that you then have to convert (at extra cost) into a drill by fitting another chuck, so why didn't the manufacturers just fit a 10mm keyless chuck and make it into a proper drill?...beats me :? Anyway, after a bit of scurfing t'internet I bought the small AEG 12v drill with the Li-on batts and 10mm keyless chuck for less that £80 :lol: - Rob

It's always a difficult choice to make when you are spending your hard earned money and want to make the right decision.
I looked at the Makita 10.8v ones (shown in previous post) when I was over in the US on business last October and they looked and felt really good. I was already buying some Makita 18v LXT kit from the same US dealer who incidentally said he was the biggest Makita agent on the east coast and had done over $1 million dollars worth of business with the UK. Obviously this might be down this year with the dollar stronger.
I also started up a part time business last July as a handyman and this has been a good way of funding extra tool purchases without SWMBO complaining about the amount of money I am spending on myself!
As part of the handyman business, I quickly came to the conclusion that the 18v Makita Drill Driver and Impact set, although excellent, was a bit heavy (and over kill) for carting around. After some though, I decided to go for the Bosch 10.8v system as well and have so far acquired a screwdriver and impact driver. The deciding factor for me was the option of purchasing the Bosch cordless Multimaster clone using the same battery system, as I find my Fein Mulitmaster invaluable and as it's older, the accessories are readily interchangeable with the blue Bosch 10.8v one. It's also good that Bosch stand behind their tools here with a 3 year warranty and a pity that Makita don't do the same here (it is available in the USA). I'm not trying to do a sales pitch for Bosch as I have Makita, Dewalt and Metabo power tools and they have all been really good.
Nigel

Got the AEG drill today. Seems a really nice, solid piece of kit and made in Germany to boot (with a 3 year guarantee)...not a sign anywhere of manufacturing influences east of Poland :) - Rob

I've got a 600w percussion drill by AEG (only a few months old) - that too seems really nicely built for the money (£50ish).

Cheers

Karl

I've used this little AEG extensively in the 'shop over the weekend and I have to say that I've found it to be a really solid little unit, so recommended :D - Rob

My Drills

Drilldrivers.jpg

The second from left £25.00 cheapy from B&Q batteries wore out £40. 00 each for new one so threw drill it away. :cry:

Favorite on the left Bosch psr 1440, remaining battery going home :cry: £45.00 for new battery :cry: :cry: shelve that probably.

Erbauer, have two of those, paid £48.00 each last year came with 2 Batteries 18v 2aH each. Had now over 18 months. Very happy with them :lol:
Only way forward! way I see it.

John. B

John. B":xf8ele9p said:
My Drills

Drilldrivers.jpg

The second from left £25.00 cheapy from B&Q batteries wore out £40. 00 each for new one so threw drill it away. :cry:

Favorite on the left Bosch psr 1440, remaining battery going home :cry: £45.00 for new battery :cry: :cry: shelve that probably.

Erbauer, have two of those, paid £48.00 each last year came with 2 Batteries 18v 2aH each. Had now over 18 months. Very happy with them :lol:
Only way forward! way I see it.

John. B

Chisels stored like that, edges upermost :shock: each to his own, but this is how I keep them:

SDFLG.jpg

...much safer I think

:wink: - Rob

Hang on!! I clearly am missing something here... I ONLY HAVE ONE DRILL/DRIVER

Where's that slope, I got my slippy shoes on...

:lol:

wizer":1y8ysycr said:
Hang on!! I clearly am missing something here... I ONLY HAVE ONE DRILL/DRIVER

Where's that slope, I got my slippy shoes on...

:lol:

You're letting things slip there a bit Wizer! I have 3 now, what with the pair of Makita's and my Metabo fully fixed (no challenge there, honest...)

I used to think it was best to have one drill/driver and get the best you could afford, but my recent experience has somewhat disproved the reliability of that theory...

Cheers, Ed

Back