Home library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright let's put a line through this divergence, don't want this to turn into a fight over the merits of books on display 😂

If you don't like books displayed I'd highly recommend not clicking on a thread titled "Home library"

Rather than have a filler panel between the chimney breast and the shelves, you could cut a tapered piece of 2x2 to give a true, vertical edge, screw and stick to the front side of the breast and skrim/fill to blend with the plaster finish on the face.

Rather than have a filler panel between the chimney breast and the shelves, you could cut a tapered piece of 2x2 to give a true, vertical edge, screw and stick to the front side of the breast and skrim/fill to blend with the plaster finish on the face.
I like that idea. The problem I've got is, well it's a travesty really, the previous owners had a built-in cupboard installed in that corner... The installer thought it would look awesome if they cut around a 100 year old mantelpiece to fit their unit🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ so I'm basically forced into making mine fill the same gap
1000026734.jpg

I like that idea. The problem I've got is, well it's a travesty really, the previous owners had a built-in cupboard installed in that corner... The installer thought it would look awesome if they cut around a 100 year old mantelpiece to fit their unit🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ so I'm basically forced into making mine fill the same gap
View attachment 182016
That was certainly a serious bodge. Would it be possible to remove the slate mantle?
If you could, it would be fairly easy to shorten it by the missing amount, then shape the corner to match and polish the edges. Slate is fairly easy to cut and polish. If the shortened mantle was re-centred it would still look original. Then the chimney breast edge could be built out to clear the mantle and make it plumb.

That was certainly a serious bodge. Would it be possible to remove the slate mantle?
If you could, it would be fairly easy to shorten it by the missing amount, then shape the corner to match and polish the edges. Slate is fairly easy to cut and polish. If the shortened mantle was re-centred it would still look original. Then the chimney breast edge could be built out to clear the mantle and make it plumb.
If I'm being honest with myself I would say that's probably out of my comfort zone, would be terrified of bodging it (more than it already is). Current plan is adapt around it with filler panels and face frames.

Bookcase no2 ready to get into position.
Cut outs for one 2-gang socket (mains power) and one 1-gang socket (speaker/audio plate to connect left and right bookcase speakers).

Getting a lot more comfortable with the domino, general alignment is a breeze now. The only thing I'm suffering from is not having a thicknesser/planer as the hardwood shelf edge material is "mostly" straight. Unfortunately in real world that's giving the odd 1mm and under difference (above and below) to the shelf itself. Again one of those things no one but the woodworker would be frustrated with

1000026750.jpg
1000026752.jpg
1000026754.jpg

Oh and after having the Makita plunge saw for over a year, I finally discovered it has a 1mm reverse score function. Now I can stop adding decorators tape 😂

Adding a pic of the cross grain cut after using the Makita score function. Very impressive and don't know how I lived without it. Goodbye tear-out
1000026810.jpg

Back