Surely a huge gap in the market?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go backwards and look at the Elu powertools of the 70's and 80's.
Long before Festool they sold market leading gear with an extensive range of accessories.
I think you’ll find Festool pre-dates Elu by 3 years Festo/Festool 1925 & Elu/Elumatec 1928 both are still trading though the power tool range of Elu was sold off to Black & Decker in 1992.
Neither company initially started making hand held power tools Festool started in the 50’s & Elu in the 60’s.

PROXXON ?

Probably 1/2 the sizes to be machined, but pretty accurate as it goes, and maybe ideal for machining individual components if you break them all out first.

Last edited:
The routers and circ saws would invert under a cast alloy table with cast alloy fence and tubular legs (Festool CMT anyone ?)
I presume you mean the CMS as the CMT is an extractor? The CMS was discontinued a good few years ago I believe due to EU legislation though they can still be bought second hand if anyone should want one .

https://huphong.com.sg/product/mia-6/

Screenshot_20240402-090632_Chrome.jpg

Be interesting to see how this compares to the original I used to own ?

Cheers.,Andy

Last edited:
With increasingly small properties and with more apartments, it is unsurprising that many simply do not have the space for a separate workshop - I know some will even use a spare bedroom.

The combination machine could be a solution to the space problem. To be a success it needs to be much quieter (induction motor, sound insulation) and incorporate integrated dust extraction.

To do both of these may be an engineering too far - but flats and terraced properties which are typically smaller with neighbours close make up nearly 50% of UK housing stock.

@Joe1975
Buy a Triton TPL180 (on offer at 50% off at Yandles) and utilise it for a jointer/surface planer. 7"/180mm width. That's 1 covered. 9kg in weight...

Make a unit to house it, add a sprung safety 'cover' and you're good to go at £149:99. I posted a thread with the link for it a few days ago.

Dear All,

Am I the only one looking for some quality small machines for working in a limited space. I want them to be well made, be under 15kgs so they can be lifted easily onto a worksurface when required, and have dust extraction that attaches to a vaccum cleaner such as Henry. They need to be able to handle most timber sizes that a hobbiest woodworker would use. The market seems to be totally lacking. This is what I'm specifically looking for;

1) A thicknesser that can cope with timber about 6-8" wide and up to about 3" thick (can't find anything between the proxxon DH40 (6kg) which looks brilliant but just too small (80mm x 40mm max) and all other thicknessers that weight about 30kgs and are too big and heavy.
2) A Jointer/Surface Planer about 6" wide (the Triton TSPL152 look promissing but could do without the handles and is still a bit heavy to be lifting frequently at 20kgs), doesn't look like a quality item either. Haven't seen much else.
3) A Table Saw with perhaps a 6" blade that would be capable of 50mm cuts (sort of like a circular saw but made into a table saw). My 18v circular saw has plenty of power and can cut deep enough but need the aligning fence and accuracy etc. of a table saw.
4) A very accurate Mitre Saw, again perhaps with a six inch 80 tooth blade, that can cut maybe 120mm widths and 50mm depths.

Perhaps they could be in the same range with the surface heights being the same, so outfeed surfaces could be easily made/purchased to cope with longer timber. They could all share the same footprint so that it would be easy to prepare a station or stand that could be used for all. They would be designed so that they can easily be clamped to a worksurface. They would have the quietest motors avaliable, share the same power leads and dust extraction ports so that they could be easily left in place. The thicknesser and Jointer/Planer could share the same type of blades, as could the Table Saw and the Mitre Saw, so keep a spare or a range of blades would be much more economical.

Am I out on a limb here, or are there loads of fairly serious hobiest woodworkers, with limited space and finances, who are not trying to build walnut tables to seat 12 people, but want to be able to process their timber and work to a high degree of accuracy.

Is it time to set up a new company?!

PS: I have seen plenty of planer thicknessers that sell for £200-300 and look nasty, are fidly to swap between functions, and are clearly not quality tools. Not interested in this market either.
Have you had a look into developing hand held power tools, converting them into stationary ones. There would be your saw table, your mitre saw. The planer thicknesser could be replaced width a thickness sander, etc.

Dear All,

Am I the only one looking for some quality small machines for working in a limited space. I want them to be well made, be under 15kgs so they can be lifted easily onto a worksurface when required, and have dust extraction that attaches to a vaccum cleaner such as Henry. They need to be able to handle most timber sizes that a hobbiest woodworker would use. The market seems to be totally lacking. This is what I'm specifically looking for;

1) A thicknesser that can cope with timber about 6-8" wide and up to about 3" thick (can't find anything between the proxxon DH40 (6kg) which looks brilliant but just too small (80mm x 40mm max) and all other thicknessers that weight about 30kgs and are too big and heavy.
2) A Jointer/Surface Planer about 6" wide (the Triton TSPL152 look promissing but could do without the handles and is still a bit heavy to be lifting frequently at 20kgs), doesn't look like a quality item either. Haven't seen much else.
3) A Table Saw with perhaps a 6" blade that would be capable of 50mm cuts (sort of like a circular saw but made into a table saw). My 18v circular saw has plenty of power and can cut deep enough but need the aligning fence and accuracy etc. of a table saw.
4) A very accurate Mitre Saw, again perhaps with a six inch 80 tooth blade, that can cut maybe 120mm widths and 50mm depths.

Perhaps they could be in the same range with the surface heights being the same, so outfeed surfaces could be easily made/purchased to cope with longer timber. They could all share the same footprint so that it would be easy to prepare a station or stand that could be used for all. They would be designed so that they can easily be clamped to a worksurface. They would have the quietest motors avaliable, share the same power leads and dust extraction ports so that they could be easily left in place. The thicknesser and Jointer/Planer could share the same type of blades, as could the Table Saw and the Mitre Saw, so keep a spare or a range of blades would be much more economical.

Am I out on a limb here, or are there loads of fairly serious hobiest woodworkers, with limited space and finances, who are not trying to build walnut tables to seat 12 people, but want to be able to process their timber and work to a high degree of accuracy.

Is it time to set up a new company?!

PS: I have seen plenty of planer thicknessers that sell for £200-300 and look nasty, are fidly to swap between functions, and are clearly not quality tools. Not interested in this market either.

I don't want to crush your dream joe but my answer to all of this is to use hand tools, I don't even need those machines in my tiny workshop, it's much safer and more relaxing, I use a bandsaw and sometimes a power router but still prefer hand tool methods.

Latest posts

Back