CNC for kitchen cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriship

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently came across a youtube video detailing a kitchen build using a 'hobby' CNC router:

I'm keen to try this myself using the Aribabox's designs and am looking for CNC recommendations. Budget would be probably £3k but I'm fairly flexible with that. I'm happy to get a kit and build it myself if that is a better way to spend the money. Most of the designs seem to come with variations based on 800 x 1200 (2.6 x 4 ft), 1200 x 1200 (4 x 4 ft) and 1220 x 2440 (4 x 8 ft) CNC routers.

Thanks
Chris

Welcome Chris, I would say if you have the time and ability to work to fine tolerances then have a go yourself, I found it so frustrating when a bought cnc did not do what I wanted and I decided to go it myself and make my own.

All the parts are readily available you just need to sit down and make a list of what you want to achieve, then draw-up a design to work to and make a list of parts, you can find others that have made cnc's and pinch some of their idea's.
There are some websites that people talk about how they made parts take a look and have a go.

It does not stop at the machine itself you need a good drawing/design package Cad-Cam to learn as well.
Any questions get back to me.

Welcome Chris, I would say if you have the time and ability to work to fine tolerances then have a go yourself, I found it so frustrating when a bought cnc did not do what I wanted and I decided to go it myself and make my own.

All the parts are readily available you just need to sit down and make a list of what you want to achieve, then draw-up a design to work to and make a list of parts, you can find others that have made cnc's and pinch some of their idea's.
There are some websites that people talk about how they made parts take a look and have a go.

It does not stop at the machine itself you need a good drawing/design package Cad-Cam to learn as well.
Any questions get back to me.
Thanks for the reply Phil.

My (in)ability to work to fine tolerances is exactly why I'm looking into CNC's. I've done a bit of woodwork but I'd not be confident doing a whole kitchen. I'm fairly comfortable with software and am assuming (possibly naively), that with the Aribabox designs I'll be able to just run them through the CNC and fit them together.

I'd be interested to know what difficulties you had with your CNC, that might help make up my mind.

I presumed from your post this was to set yourself up making them to sell, I'm curious as to the financial benefit in the long run of spending £3K to just buy a machine to make A kitchen.

For that sort of money you would probably be getting close to buying a good track saw, an MFT type setup, a couple of battery drill/screwdrivers and most of the basic raw materials to make a kitchen and still have some change.

I presumed from your post this was to set yourself up making them to sell, I'm curious as to the financial benefit in the long run of spending £3K to just buy a machine to make A kitchen.

For that sort of money you would probably be getting close to buying a good track saw, an MFT type setup, a couple of battery drill/screwdrivers and most of the basic raw materials to make a kitchen and still have some change.
Ah yes sorry I should have confirmed this is for me to make my own kitchen. But I also have a quite a few bits of furniture I'd like to make also so it wouldn't be a one-time use. I also like the idea of being able to easily replace cabinets should I need to.

I'm not opposed to getting power tools instead and trying my hand at it if everyone thinks it's a better route. On the face of it, it just seems a lot simpler to use a CNC.

You’re probably not thinking of this level of a machine but worth a watch, of all 4 episodes, nevertheless.

Cnc machines are amazing and I would certainly advise you get one. But not for making a kitchen. You just need a track saw or something.
A kitchen is basically just a load of rectangles which can be cut very quickly with a track saw or a panel saw to very high accuracy.
To be honest, I would suggest buying the boxes from DIY kitchens or somewhere and custom build the doors or other parts to your requirements.
Spend the time and effort on the custom bits you can see.

I definitely think you should buy or build a CNC but not really for this job and not before you have done a lot of reading. Mycncuk and cnc zone have large build threads and advice sections.

If you have an "inability to work to fine tolerances" maybe building a CNC machine in not the best plan !!🤣

Ollie

Have you looked into CNC cutting services. I have found that by the time you have sourced quality sheet material they can be very competative.
I found that sourcing some materials in small quantities near impossible as an individual, but easily ordered them cut and delivered in a few days.

To be perfectly honest, even if I owned a CNC I would get my local sheet goods supplier to perform the cuts on their beam saw. It's pretty cheap and way less hassle than dealing with full size boards. I did this when building a large built-in pantry and it was definitely the right call. Everything was at the exact dimensions specified, no tear out or other defects, all I had to do was pocket hole it together. Have a phone around for a plywood/sheet goods supplier near you with a beam saw.

Back