Vacuum / dust collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart M

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I do most of my work in the garage, and it’s fairly open, so dust is getting everywhere.

I have a regular household vacuum and it works well when I bother to use it, but a lot of the time it’s just not convenient, and the regular hose is a bit fiddly because the solid plastic restricts flexibility.

So, just wondering how people are organising this, and looking for tips to make vacuuming more accessible when dealing with multiple tools (table saw, circular saw, router).

I have a workbench, tucked way in a corner, and its main use is currently for tool storage, and I’m wondering if i should have a 2nd workbench focused on sawing.

Thanks all

Last edited:
I have small shop vac connected to a small cyclone , great for smaller tools like sander small to medium router. Larger tools like t/saw and planer / thicknesser large router may need a dedicated extraction system. Depends what you’re producing dust chips or shavings. My space is limited so I have a large twin motor numatic again connected to a cyclone which works fine with my larger machines Mounted just outside my workshop is a 3 stage air filter for fine airborne particles..there are plenty of more experienced members that can hopefully give you more specific advice but let the group know what work you do and what machines you use .good luck

Consider buying another hose for your vacuum. It is easy enough to adapt the fittings if needed.
Mirka antistatic hoses are more flexible than most and competitively priced. That may help.
You could splash out the £100+ and get the funky festool one with the woven outer. That is amazingly flexible.

If dust is building up, get a P3 mask on and hoover it, then blow it out with an air compressor.

A ceiling mounted air filter is useful for controlling the fine stuff that sits in the air and gradually settles on everything.

I have used 38mm waste pipe then flex pipe to tools which auto start as soon as you turn on tool
Paul

A plastic cyclone from Temu fixed on top of a 50 litre blue plastic food drum, odd lengths of 50mm -ish flexi pipe from the tip sucked by a Nilfisk shop vac. Does my 10" Metabo planer or Axminster bandsaw or Makita tables away.

I have used various plastic plumbing fittings to join them, if not the right size a hot air gun allows you to stretch them wider and I haven't changed a vac filter in ages.

I do most of my work in the garage, and it’s fairly open, so dust is getting everywhere.

I have a regular household vacuum and it works well when I bother to use it, but a lot of the time it’s just not convenient, and the regular hose is a bit fiddly because the solid plastic restricts flexibility.

So, just wondering how people are organising this, and looking for tips to make vacuuming more accessible when dealing with multiple tools (table saw, circular saw, router).

I have a workbench, tucked way in a corner, and its main use is currently for tool storage, and I’m wondering if i should have a 2nd workbench focused on sawing.

Thanks all

This is my set-up (thread shortcut below):

Thread 'Cyclone Dust Separator Box'
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/cyclone-dust-separator-box.143978/

I have added the HEPA H13 filter (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Vacmaster-...or-15L---60L-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-Cleaners/p/273059) and a 6m Cen-Tec hose. The two adapters that come with the hose fit my power tools (https://centraltechnologysystems.co...p-vacuum-hose-power-tool-adaptor-set-25-48mm/)

This is my set-up (thread shortcut below):

Thread 'Cyclone Dust Separator Box'
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/cyclone-dust-separator-box.143978/

I have added the HEPA H13 filter (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Vacmaster-...or-15L---60L-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-Cleaners/p/273059) and a 6m Cen-Tec hose. The two adapters that come with the hose fit my power tools (https://centraltechnologysystems.co...p-vacuum-hose-power-tool-adaptor-set-25-48mm/)
What's the point of the cyclone, instead of just a standard workshop / garage vacuum ? I'm not really understandng the benefit

What's the point of the cyclone, instead of just a standard workshop / garage vacuum ? I'm not really understandng the benefit
My thoughts on why I use a cyclone
1. Suction basically remains consistent as the filter in the vac is not clogging rapidly.
2. As the filter is not clogging so rapidly it doesn’t need to be cleaned/changed often.
3. In my case, my vac can stay in my garage loft space (reducing the noise of where I’m working) as I don’t need to empty it.
4. I would say that a vac that is just sucking cleaner air (with the sawdust going into the collection box) will last longer. I’ve seen the wear and tear on my other Wickes vac I have used before I had the cyclone and other DIY.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Same reason I put the Axminster steel cyclone on my twin motor camvac, which has a small bin.
It does mean I normally use both motors as its got 100mm inlet, but there's months between cleaning the filters not a week or two.
Plus cyclone sits on a 70 litre steel bin, and takes weeks to fill now, not 2 or 3 days

Have you had a look at the Makita VC4210M. (Other manufacturers do similar tools but I haven’t used them). Absolutely brilliant tool. I wouldn’t have a workshop without one. Powerful suction. Power take off. Decent capacity so you’re not emptying it all the time. I’m selling mine in the for sale section, the only reason being I am giving up my workshop due to time constraints. This isn’t a plug it’s just because they’re a great tool for the workshop.

Same reason I put the Axminster steel cyclone on my twin motor camvac, which has a small bin.
It does mean I normally use both motors as its got 100mm inlet, but there's months between cleaning the filters not a week or two.
Plus cyclone sits on a 70 litre steel bin, and takes weeks to fill now, not 2 or 3 days
Hi Sachakins,

Out of interest, I am thinking about adding a cyclone to my twin motor Camvac.
What cyclone did you use? Just trying to decide which one to buy.

Thanks

I have just ordered this Metabo 30L, M-class vacuum, which may help with your dust issue. Having a dedicated vac for a sawing bench.
I suppose its all a matter of opinion, and what works best for the individual (cost, space, noise, effort, etc)

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/Metabo-A...er-With-Manual-Filter-Cleaning/P24861/froogle

For general clean-up use and for using on power tools.

New out, and it will take the H-Class filters!

Hi Sachakins,

Out of interest, I am thinking about adding a cyclone to my twin motor Camvac.
What cyclone did you use? Just trying to decide which one to buy.

Thanks
Hi,
This is it in situ'
20240223_122355.jpg

I cut out a hole in bottom of the camvav bin, so I could mount and bolt it directly to the Axminster cyclone as I was restricted on space.

Don't know if t was the best solution, but it works for me.
I then added a manifold and down pipe to help reduce the exhaust noise a bit.
20240223_123813.jpg

Just a note if you need extra vacuum hoses for a normal house vacuum, take a trip to your local tip/recycling centre. They often sell things now (for barely anything) as part of the recycling effort and they will have a shed full of vacuums.

Back